It’s Friday, July 13. Friday the 13th, does that bother you? Here are 9 sports headlines for you to know today.
1. It was on this date in 1982 that the Cincinnati Reds’ Dave Concepcion hit a two-run home run as the National League beat the American League in the All Star Game for the 11th straight time. Concepcion’s home run came in the second inning, yet it turned out to be the winning hit in the 4-1 decision. It must have been very exciting. The game was played at Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, making it the first All-Star Game played outside the United States.
2. The Reds did not play on Thursday night, but they begin a three-game series in St. Louis on Friday night. Matt Harvey will pitch against the Cardinals’ Carlos Martinez.
3. Ben Rhodes won the Camping World Truck Series race at the Kentucky Speedway on Thursday night. Ben is a 21-year old native of Louisville, who got his second series win, but this was special because it happened in his home state.
4. Today at the Speedway, it’s a full day of practice and qualifying for racers in the Xfinity Series and also in the Cup Series. The Alsco 300, part of the Xfinity Series, will be run at 8 p.m.
5. Trevon Bluiett, one of the top scorers in Xavier University basketball history, apparently turned some heads in the NBA’s Summer League. It was reported on Thursday that Bluiett has signed a two-way contract with the New Orleans Pelicans.
6. One of the University of Cincinnati’s greatest players, Sean Kilpatrick, is looking to play for a new team. Kilpatrick was waived on Thursday, four months after signing a 3-year contract with the Chicago Bulls. Just another worthless sports contract.
7. Serena Williams and Angelique Kerber won their semifinals matches at Wimbledon on Thursday. They’ll play for the women’s title on Saturday.
8. Today at Wimbledon, it’s the men’s semifinals. Rafael Nadal will play Novak Djokovic and American John Isner will play Kevin Anderson.
9. Interesting stat about today’s semifinals. It’s the first time that all four male semifinalists at a grand slam tournament are in their 30s. We’re all getting older.
Try to keep cool and have a great weekend. Follow me on twitter @popo_wcposports.