CINCINNATI — The Reds Opening Day Parade has been postponed indefinitely for 2021, the Findlay Market Association announced Friday.
Organizers said the parade will be back on when the Reds can accommodate 45,000 fans at Great American Ball Park for the start of the 2021 season.
"Until the Cincinnati Reds are permitted to fill the stadium to full capacity and there are no restrictions on group events, we feel we cannot put on the type of extravaganza you have come to expect on Opening Day."
The 2020 parade was canceled just weeks before Opening Day, which organizers said cost them hours of work and a large amount of money.
"Last year, we spent literally hundreds of hours planning and preparing, and spent thousands of dollars, including making special arrangements for an Olympic tribute, featuring over a dozen medal winners from Cincinnati who were scheduled to appear in the parade, only to have it canceled just weeks before the season should have started."
Parade organizers said they have the full support of the Reds on the decision.
"Though they will miss us being part of Opening Day in 2021, they support our decision and are excited to have the parade resume its place as the cornerstone of Reds Opening Day traditions."