News

Actions

Prosecutors given additional time to consider Adam Jones case

Deadline set back to March 23
WCPO-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 2:31 PM, Feb 09, 2017
and last updated 2017-02-09 14:52:32-05

CINCINNATI -- The Adam Jones case has been delayed again.

Jones, 33, waived time for the second time Thursday, according to court records. Waiving time means that a person charged with a crime passes on their right to a speedy trial.

Prosecutors now have until March 23 to decide if they'll bring the case before a grand jury. Before that, the deadline had been Friday.

Jones is facing charges of assault, disorderly conduct, obstructing official business and harassment with a bodily substance stemming from a Jan. 3 incident. Court records state that Jones was "pushing and poking (a security guard) in the eye" at the Millennium Hotel Downtown, and then spat at a jail nurse.

"Mr. Jones was disorderly and combative throughout the booking process, eventually requiring him to be placed in a restraint chair," the sheriff's office said.

In court, Jones denied the accusations, saying that he had witnesses who could debunk the charges.

Since then, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said he wanted to learn about what punishment Jones, a Bengals cornerback, would face from the NFL.

Police also released a video showing Jones in the back of a police vehicle after his arrest. In the video, Jones berates the arresting officer, saying "I hope you die tomorrow" among various insults.

Jones has entered anger management and alcohol-related treatment, according to Deters.