CINCINNATI -- It’s Tuesday, May 29. Let’s call today Franchise Day in Cincinnati.
Major League Soccer officials are coming to town today and it appears they will invite FC Cincinnati to join their club. Cincinnati taking on a third professional franchise? I never saw this coming a few years ago when FC Cincinnati announced its intentions.
Here’s other sports news to know for today.
1. The NBA Finals will match up the same two teams that played last year (and the year before that and the year before that), the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors. Golden State made it back to the finals with a 101-92 victory over the Houston Rockets. How did Golden State do it? They outscored Houston 33 to 15 in the third quarter.
2. The NBA Finals will start at 9 p.m. Thursday, and you can watch all games in the finals on Channel 9. Golden State will have the first two games on their court.
3. At the same time Monday night, Las Vegas and Washington were playing Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The Golden Knights of Vegas opened with a thrilling 6-4 victory over the Capitals.
4. There should be some sort of sports rule that says you can’t put an NBA Game 7 head-to-head against a Stanley Cup game. It just cheats the avid sports fan.
5. What in the world are the Cincinnati Reds going to do with Homer Bailey? He can’t pitch more than four innings any longer. Against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Monday, Bailey gave up eight runs, six of them earned, in a 12-5 Arizona win. In the games he has started this season, the Reds are 1-11.
6. How about some help? Johnny Bench tweeted Monday night, “It’s time for Homer to change his delivery. For 4 years, I’ve watched and he just shows the ball too long. No deception. I just think the change would benefit him. The hitter sees the ball for 63 feet almost.” I know everyone has an opinion, but Bench has one that actually counts.
7. Reds manager Jim Riggleman said he’s hopeful that the Reds will be able to bring relievers Austin Brice and Raisel Iglesias off the disabled list on Wednesday.
8. Regional baseball tournaments in Northern Kentucky on Monday: Beechwood, CovCath, Highlands and St. Henry won in Region 9. Brossart and Campbell County won in Region 10.
9. Here’s how the semifinals line up Tuesday. CovCath will play St. Henry at 6 p.m., then Beechwood will play Highlands, with both games at UC Health Stadium in Florence. Brossart and Campbell County will play in separate games Tuesday.
It should be a fun day, if the rain stays away. Give me a follow on Twitter (@popo_wcposports) .