DAYTON, Ohio — Dayton city officials said the Historic Oregon District will reopen this afternoon following a mass shooting Sunday morningthat took the life of nine people and injured over two dozen others.
"Dayton has gone through a really tough year," Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley said, referring to the tornadoes that tore through Dayton in May. "I continue to be amazed about the grit and resiliency of this community ... the love and support that comes from people is something that keeps me going as mayor and makes me so proud to do this work."
The shooting left nine people plus the shooter dead, and 27 others injured and being treated at area hospitals. Their injuries range from gunshot wounds to cuts and bruises from trying to escape the scene. At 10 a.m., officials said 15 of those injured had been released from hospitals.
The shooting suspect has been identified as Connor Betts, 24, of Bellbrook, government sources confirmed.
"We understand that the public wants to know who this person is," Assistant Chief Matt Carper with the Dayton Police Department, said. "Obviously we are working very hard to give the public an answer as to what the motivation might have been for this man."
A vigil is planned for 8 p.m. Sunday to honor those killed and injured in this shooting. The location of the vigil will be released later Sunday.