NewsLocal NewsHamilton CountyCincinnatiCamp Washington


'The whole city is hurting': Community remembers youth coach killed in shooting

Jearid Irvin, Coach Sticky
Posted at 2:24 PM, Jan 12, 2022
and last updated 2022-01-13 23:54:45-05

CINCINNATI — Community members gathered to honor a beloved youth coach killed in a shooting at a Camp Washington gas station.

Police said 48-year-old Jearid Irvin, known as "Coach Sticky" to many, was shot by Peter Gamble at the Shell gas station on the corner of Colerain Avenue and Hopple Street. CPD Captain Craig Gregoire said two uniformed officers were nearby and saw an argument between the two, though investigators have not said what caused the argument.

Those gathered in North Fairmount Thursday night were decked out in blue and silver for the Dallas Cowboys, Irvin's favorite team. His friends and family said Irvin died just a few hours before he was going to coach basketball to 5-year-olds. Trenell Armstrong said he first played for "Coach Sticky" when he was in kindergarten.

"He was my first coach," Armstrong said. "I wouldn't be helping out, trying coach now, if it wasn't for him...he was for the kids."

Irvin not only helped kids learn basketball, he also coached youth football. Friends said he spent a lot of time working to get the kids on his teams everything they need — from shoes and uniforms to food. He also had a teenage daughter. Irvin's wife said she wants his killer to know the impact of the shooting.

"I have to go through this, my daughter has to go through this. My daughter turns 18 next week, and her father ain't even here. This is her senior year — he don't get to see her graduate, he don't get to see her prom, he don't get to see none of this," Crystal Irvin said. "This is horrible, and you took somebody that the whole city loved and the whole city is hurting because of this."

Police said Gamble, 31, was quickly taken into custody after the shooting. Irvin's death marks Cincinnati's fifth homicide of 2022.

Police release names of victims in Bond Hill double-shooting
Three killed in Walton stabbing, including 12-year-old and 3-year-old