NewsLocal NewsClermont CountyPierce Township


911 calls released from deadly Clermont County standoff

Posted at 5:13 PM, Feb 05, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-06 00:42:47-05

BATAVIA, Ohio — Wade Winn, who authorities said shot and killed a Clermont County deputy, called 911 multiple times over the course of the 12-hour standoff at his Pierce Township apartment.

The calls, which authorities released Tuesday, show Winn get progressively more and more suspicious of police and uncooperative, even saying he believed some of them were not real, or believing they had gone when they were still there.

In Winn's first call, he can be heard talking through what he originally reported as a burglary, or what he believed was someone out to get him.

"I've heard noises," he told the 911 dispatcher. "All the apartments around mine are empty for some reason."

The dispatcher asked where the noises were coming from.

"There's a dead body stink from next door," Winn replied. "When I checked on the guy next door, all the apartments are empty."

Winn told the dispatcher he was ready to defend himself and that he had "a very legal assault rifle" and a pistol.

"I am ready at any moment, if my life feels threatened, to fire upon them," he said. "Two to the chest."

The call led to the standoff between authorities and Winn inside his Saint Andrews Drive apartment that lasted through Saturday night, until nearly 7 a.m. Sunday.

In some calls after, Multiple law enforcement agencies tried to get Winn to speak to them face-to-face or leave his apartment, but he refused. A dispatcher tried to get Winn to put down his guns, but he didn't trust what was happening.

Winn said he didn't trust the Union or Pierce Township police because they're a large police force. He eventually spoke to a Clermont County deputy, who tried to coax him out. But then Winn said he only wants to talk to Union Township police.

Winn's dad, brother and a friend also called authorities on his behalf.

Late Saturday night, believing Winn had harmed himself, Detective Bill Brewer and Lt. Nick DeRose went into the apartment, where Winn is accused of ambushing them, firing at them both. Brewer died from his injuries.

Winn wouldn't surrender until the apartment building caught fire Sunday morning.

A visitation for Brewer is scheduled for Thursday and his funeral is set for Friday.

Winn was arraigned in court Monday. He faces charges of murder and aggravated murder in connection to the shooting, and prosecutors intend to seek the death penalty. A judge set his bond at $10 million.