CINCINNATI -- The beginning of the spring season also means making some changes to your home.
Here are 9 tips you can use to prepare your home for spring:
1) Clean out your gutters and make any necessary repairs. It may take a little work, but it will prevent damage to your roof later in the summer.
2) While you’re up there, visually inspect your roof. Look for loose shingles, missing shingles or even ones that look buckled. If you have a problem area, call a professional.
3) Test your outside faucet. Turn back on the water and make sure it flows easily. If you can stop the flow of water with your thumb, you might have a leak in your line.
4) If you have a chimney, it’s time to get it swept by a professional.
5) Check your window and door seals. Look for gaps in the caulking or adjust those threshold heights, too.
6) Check on that summer workhorse: your air conditioner unit.
“The main thing we are looking for is a cleanliness of the system, the filter, good electrical connections and the refrigerant charge that’s in the system,” said Mike Housh, a local Airtron franchise holder.
It’s important for a pro to inspect your system.
7) And let’s not forget about the lawn. All those outdoor tools like our lawn mower need to be tuned up.
8) It’s also a good time to get your grass seed started. We checked in with Bob Bard of Bard Landscaping.
“You need to make sure if you are going to fertilize and put your seed down, it has to be starting to grow and the grass has to be mowed one time before you put weed prevention down,” Bard said.
Finally, as we round up the outside, quickly inspect your driveway and sidewalks for cracks. Fill them in. It’s also a good time to power wash and seal the driveway.