NewsNorthern Kentucky


Jury will carry Jacob Julick deliberations into second day Wednesday

KY man accused of shooting at police
Posted at 8:48 PM, Aug 25, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-26 15:36:00-04

COVINGTON, Ky. — A jury deliberated for about five hours Tuesday but didn't reach a verdict in the trial of a Northern Kentucky man accused of shooting at police officers in 2019.

Jacob Ray Julick faces two counts of attempted murder and seven other lesser counts.

The jury broke for the night about 7:45 and will resume at 9 a.m. Wednesday in Kenton County Circuit Court.

Julick testified in the morning that he had only been trying to escape from a traffic stop by Lakeside Park-Crestview Hills officers and not trying to kill them when he fired his gun on June 6, 2019.

Julick said he deliberately shot into the air attempting to scare officers away because there was a warrant out on him and he didn't want to go back to jail.

Amy Miller, Julick's attorney: "Mr. Julick, when you fired that gun on June 6, what were you thinking?"

Julick: "My intention was to get away."

Miller: "Did you intend to kill those officers?"

Julick: "No."

But Commonwealth's Attorney Rob Sanders asked the jury to believe the witnesses who had testified otherwise.

"Trust your eyes. Trust your ears. Trust the word of the three witnesses who said Mr. Julick fired at those police officers and tried to take their lives because you do not shoot at anything if you don’t intend to kill," Sanders said.

A gas station clerk and a neighbor who lived near the scene said they had seen Julick aim his gun before shooting.

Whether he had intended to hit police or distract them, Julick pulling the trigger was the opening act of a two-week manhunt.

Julick had been a passenger in a vehicle stopped by officers in a Speedway parking lot, according to police. Julick fled on foot, firing his gun as he sprinted through the parking lot of an auto shop and out of sight.

By June 22, the next time police saw him, Julick had acquired a car of his own. A patrol officer spotted his vehicle in Covington that day and a chase ensued, with Julick reaching speeds of up to 80 mph and driving on sidewalks in his attempt to escape.

Covington officers ended the chase without an arrest. Continuing to pursue him at those speeds would be too dangerous, they said at the time.

Julick was finally caught in Westwood on June 25. He surrendered to police and U.S. Marshals after a four-hour standoff outside the apartment building in which he had been sheltering.