NewsLocal NewsHamilton CountyCincinnatiWestwood


Northern Kentucky fugitive arrested weeks after shooting at officers

Posted at 4:16 PM, Jun 25, 2019

CINCINNATI — After spending 19 days eluding police and four hours in a last-ditch standoff on McHenry Avenue, fugitive Jacob Julick surrendered Tuesday evening.

A photo released by Kenton County Commonwealth’s Attorney Rob Sanders shows the 27-year-old shirtless and dirty, dressed in torn, oversized jeans, as SWAT officers lead him out of the Westwood apartment building where he had been found earlier in the day.

"It was intense because I didn't know if they were going to be shooting,” neighbor John Masur said of the standoff. “… I said, ‘Boy, oh boy.’ I prayed. I prayed that they would catch him because we don’t need people like that on the street.”

According to police, Julick had been a passenger in a car stopped by Lakeside Park-Crestview Hills police June 6. He shot at them and fled the scene on foot, earning himself charges of attempted murder and possession of a handgun by a convicted felon, Cincinnati Lt. Steve Saunders said.

"Don't die on me," his mother, Mary Julick, pleaded on news broadcasts the day of the attack. "I love you. Turn yourself in, I'll be there for you when you get out. I just need you alive, and I just need you to know that I love you and that you'll be safe once you turn yourself in. Please, son, don't die on me today. Just turn yourself in. Don't get killed. Just turn yourself in."

Julick would remain at large for more than two weeks afterward. Police who received Tuesday's tip that he was hiding in Westwood called local and federal agencies for help, according to Saunders. Each anticipated he could be a threat to anyone who tried to bring him in.

"I stepped outside," Masur, the neighbor, said. "They said. 'Go back in the house and get to the back of your house and stay there.'"

In the end, after a methodical search of the three-story apartment building, Julick surrendered to U.S. Marshals around 7:30 p.m. without harming any of them.

By 10 p.m., he was listed as an inmate at the Hamilton County Jail. Julick was extradited to Kenton County, Kentucky Wednesday, according to Kenton County Commonwealth's Attorney Rob Sanders.

Julick faces additional charges in Kenton County; he's charged in leading police on a pursuit in Covington on Saturday. Court documents say he tried to hit a police officer head on and drove over 60 miles per hour on residential streets.

A judge on Thursday, June 27 issued Julick a $1 million bond. He is expected to appear in court on Tuesday.