LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. -- One person died and another was hospitalized after a Dearborn County house caught fire on Wednesday, according to police.
Crews responded to the home on Elizabeth Road around 7 a.m. Wednesday.
Johnnie Tremain, chief of the Lawrenceburg Fire Department, was first to arrive to the scene. He said the fire was not that large, but the toxins from the smoke were sufficient enough to be fatal.
“It smoldered, that’s where you get your toxins,” Tremain said. “You get it from free burning too but your big toxic gases are from smoldering fires.”
— Jordan Burgess (@WCPOJordan) July 20, 2016
Neighbors said an elderly man with his adult son lived at the home.
Anne Wurtzler, who lives nearby, said she was close with the family.
"The son, he plays the piano," Wurtzler said. "He sits out in the garage and plays the piano so the whole neighborhood can hear him. He comes over and plays win my mom's dogs. She lives next door over here. And they're just real nice neighbors."
The names of the individuals have not yet been released, and the condition of the hospitalized individual is not known at this time.
WCPO will update this story with more information as it becomes available.