COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine is activating the state’s National Guard in Columbus and Cleveland in response to protests during the day and evening on Saturday, which turned destructive.
DeWine announced the activation of the National Guard during a press conference on Friday. Shortly after, the Governor announced through his communications team that, after receiving a request from the mayor, the National Guard will be deployed in Cleveland as well.
Ben Asks a Question is a feature we started as a way to help give you a voice during Gov. Mike DeWine's daily press briefings. Since then, Ben has gotten hundreds of questions a day. If you'd like to ask a question, find us on Facebook and feel free to message us there, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before news broke about the situation in Cleveland, I asked DeWine whether he had heard from mayors other than Columbus’ Ginther requesting deployment of the National Guard. He replied that he hadn’t at that time. DeWine gave his press conference at 5:00 p.m. Saturday evening. He said Cleveland's mayor requested assistance at 6:00 p.m., shortly after the press conference concluded.
DeWine continued in his brief response, though, to reiterate what he’s said previously -- every situation is different, and he is on call to offer help where needed.
“Again, these are case-by-case situations. We stand ready to do what we need to do,” said Dewine.
In an official press release regarding the activation of the National Guard in Cleveland, DeWine said, "In this time of deep anger, sadness, and frustration, we stand with those who are expressing their First Amendment rights, but we will not stand for those who wish to inflict pain and cause destruction."
As of now, Cincinnati and Columbus will be under curfew beginning at 10 p.m. The city of Cleveland’s curfew is set to begin at 8 p.m.