Greenwood mall mass shooting suspect fired 24 rounds in 2 minutes; motive unclear

greenwood mall shooting.png
Posted at 2:49 PM, Jul 18, 2022

GREENWOOD, Ind. — In just two minutes, police said a mass shooter fired 24 rounds, killing three and injuring two more inside the Greenwood Park Mall Sunday night before the suspect was shot to death by an armed citizen.

From 5:55 to 5:57 p.m., Jonathan Douglas Sapirman sprayed two dozen 5.56-caliber rounds into the food court using a Sig Sauer M400, an AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle, Greenwood Police Chief Jim Ison said.

"He had multiple magazines and over 100 rounds of ammunition on his person and in his possession," Ison said.

He shot into the mall at random, police said, killing Victor Gomez, 30, Pedro Pineda, 56, and Rosa Mirian Rivera de Pineda, 37. Gomez was walking into the bathroom and the Pinedas, a husband and wife, were eating dinner when they were killed, Ison said.

A 22-year old woman was shot in the leg and is recovering at Eskenazi Hospital, Ison said.

A 12-year-old girl was running towards an exit and suffered a minor injury when she was hit by a ricocheted bullet fragment, Ison said. Doctors later removed a small piece of the bullet's metal jacket from the girl's wound, Ison said.

Greenwood Police Chief James Ison said the shooter was killed by an armed civilian inside the Greenwood Park Mall food court. The civilian, a 22-year-old Bartholomew County man, is cooperating with officials. Authorities have not revealed any other information about that person.

Sapirman was shot to death by an armed citizen, Elisjsah Dicken, 22, Seymour. Ison and Greenwood Mayor Mark Myers called Dicken a hero and credited him with saving many lives at the mall that night.

An FBI spokesperson confirmed to WRTV that its teams assisted local police in the shooting investigation and with serving a search warrant afterward at Polo Run Apartments, which is located near the mall across U.S. 31. WRTV is working to confirm more information.

Officials have not disclosed the suspected shooter's identity or a possible motive.

The Johnson County bomb squad was called to the mall after an abandoned backpack was located inside the mall. Police later said the bag was cleared and deemed not to be a threat.

A spokeswoman representing Simon Property Group, the Greenwood Park Mall's parent company, confirmed the mall will be closed Monday. A reopening date will be announced later.

The following statement was shared on the company's behalf:

"We grieve for the victims of yesterday’s horrific tragedy in Greenwood. Violence has no place in this or any other community. We are grateful for the strong response of the first responders, including the heroic actions of the Good Samaritan who stopped the suspect."

WRTV Real-Time Editor Jazlyn Gomez contributed to this report.