LEBANON, Ohio – At least one person suffered burns in a fire in Lebanon Friday.
The man was burned over 40 percent of his body while he was trying to remove a burning couch from the building, Fire Chief Perry Gerome said. A neighbor or passer-by dragged the man away from the burning building. He was flown to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment.
"We believe the couch was on fire and he was trying to drag the couch out, and realized that he could not do that," Gerome said.
Fire crews responded to the home in the 300 block of East Main Street at about 11:57 a.m.
About five other residents escaped the building, which has four or five apartments, according to Gerome.
The configuration of the apartments made it difficult for firefighters to reach the fire, which was in the attic, Gerome said. Fire crews had to cut a hole in the roof.
The Red Cross was going to help the displaced families.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.