NewsLocal NewsHamilton CountySpringfield Township

Actions

Springfield Township father charged with murder in death of 1-month-old son

WCPO_Jacob_crews.png
Posted at 7:50 AM, May 24, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-24 17:46:12-04

CINCINNATI — A Springfield Township man accused of assaulting and killing his newborn son pleaded not guilty Friday.

Jacob Crews, 33, is charged with murder in the May 11 death of the 1-month-old, according to court documents and a coroner's report.

The newborn died of blunt force trauma; his ribs had been broken in about 10 different places, and his heart stopped beating from internal bleeding, Hamilton County Assistant Prosecutor David Wood said.

Police said Crews' wife was out of town when he killed the boy.

"The first two hours into that care, there was a telephone call exchanged between mother and father," Wood said. "The child was doing fine. Two hours after that, 911 was called."

Springfield Township police officers were dispatched for a report of a 1-month-old possibly choking on May 11, according to a police report. The officers performed CPR on the baby and drove him to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, where he died later that day.

A judge on Friday issued a $500,000 bond. Crews is being held at the Hamilton County Justice Center and is scheduled to appear in court on June 3.