News

Actions

Man fighting kitchen fire does everything wrong

WCPO-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:42 PM, Jan 04, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-04 20:46:40-05

COLERAIN TWP. Ohio -  A man got a lesson in how not to react to a grease fire in his kitchen Monday, fire officials said.

The man tried to carry a burning pan out of the house and inadvertently spread the fire damage while also suffering second and third degree burns on his hand.

The fire was reported about 4 p.m. in the 2700 block of West Galbraith Road near Pippin Road.

The man was transported to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. EMS treated a woman in the home for smoke inhalation, but she refused further treatment or transport. 

Besides fire damage to the kitchen walls, cabinets and stove, there was smoke damage throughout the home, officials said. Damage was estimated at $10,000.

Fire officials offered this advice if you have a kitchen fire in your home:

If a pan catches fire from grease or other burnt food, the best action is to leave the home immediately and call 911 to have the fire department dispatched.  If the fire is small and a lid for the pan is handy, slide the lid over the pan to smother the fire and then turn off the burner to remove further heat.  Never attempt to carry a burning pan outside, and never put water on a grease fire – water will quickly spread the grease fire out of the pan and onto other combustibles.