CINCINNATI -- It's been a year since the shooting inside Cameo Night Club.
Two people, including one of the accused gunmen, died. More than a dozen others were hurt.
The club never reopened. Part of the building is now home to a boat shop. The other part is being turned into a restaurant. The whole area is being given a new life, even as the legal system seems to stall on the case.
Cameo closed amid a flurry of lawsuits and accusations that some got special treatment, bypassing security for a price. Several victims joined together to sue.
"It's a growth process, trying to be positive about it even though there is still anger, frustration, hurt putting families through this," shooting victim Khristian Howell said.
The family of O'Bryan Spikes, the 27-year-old father who was killed in the crossfire, is also suing for wrongful death.
"He was our man," his mother, Raquel Mitchell said. "It was us girls, and he took care of his and he was everything for us."
But now some of the cases are on hold, according to attorneys involved in them. Club owner Julian Rodgers filed for bankruptcy earlier this year.
According to records filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Rodgers lost $100,000 at JACK casino in the past year, spent $18,000 due to leaking battery acid in his Porsche and paid $5,000 in attorney fees. In total, Rodgers had less than $97,000 in assets but more than $315,000 in liabilities.
Rodgers has denied many of the accusations made about the club, including that it had an express line bypassing security. He declined to comment for this story. Cincinnati police officers are also named in the wrongful death lawsuit. The department declined to comment Monday, but the officers denied wrongdoing because they weren't hired as bouncers.
The one surviving shooting suspect, Cornell Beckley, also had his trial pushed back. It's now scheduled for May.
The other suspect, Deondre Davis, died in the hospital. His family has maintained his innocence.