Student OK, but cat dies in apartment fire

Posted at 1:02 AM, Nov 17, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-17 01:02:07-05

CINCINNATI -- A student is expected to recover after a fire in her off-campus apartment near the University of Cincinnati, but her pet cat didn't survive.

The victim met Cincinnati firefighters at the front door and told her friends that the flames started in her bedroom.

At one point, District Fire Chief Greg Potter said, smoke was so bad students were leaning out of windows of the building on Ohio Avenue.

"We were yelling up to them to just stay in place," Potter said.

A witness captured video of flames shooting from the building:

"To see it like that coming out of the building is pretty crazy," UC junior Cody DiFabio said.

Students huddled outside in a chilly rain as firefighters cleared the building, many wondering what happened to their property.

"My car's right underneath the window, so we'll see what happens when everyone leaves and clears out," Josh Auman said.

Potter said fire investigators are still trying to figure out what sparked the fire.