NewsLocal NewsHamilton County


Cincinnati man charged in toddler's hit-skip death has died, officials say

Boy's mom says there won't be justice for them now
Satwinder Singh in court
Posted at 1:00 PM, Mar 28, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-29 01:21:27-04

CINCINNATI — The driver accused of killing a 2-year-old boy while under the influence has died from a suspected overdose in his jail cell, and the toddler's mother says she is angry that there won't be justice now for her and her son.

“I’m angry. I’m mad. I’m upset. I feel like I was failed,” Brittney Hutcherson told WCPO on Thursday. "I miss my baby. I do. I really do. And now I feel like I'm suffering even more because he can't get the justice that he deserves and I'm not getting my justice, so how am I supposed to move on?"

Satwinder Singh, 31, was found unresponsive at the Justice Center Tuesday afternoon, according to a news release from the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office. Singh died at University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

Singh had been jailed in connection to a Dec. 30, 2018 hit-and-run that killed toddler Dameon Turner Jr.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters told WCPO: “His issue with drugs led directly to the death of a beautiful baby. It’s now going to be up to the Sheriff to determine how he was able to get drugs into the Justice Center.”

Hutcherson said she also wants to know. The Hamilton County Heroin Coalition plans to investigate, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

“I really wanted him to stand there and listen to what he did to my baby ... an innocent, 2-year-old, happy boy. He was happy,” Hutcherson said.

The child's father, Dameon Turner Sr., had been pushing him in a stroller on the sidewalk when Singh’s pickup jumped the curb, hit them both and drove away, police said.

Hutcherson was walking ahead of them and wasn't hit.

RELATED: Dameon Turner's parents say they want justice for 2-year-old killed in hit-and-run

Police found Singh at a nearby BP station, where prosecutors said they were forced to administer naloxone to prevent him from falling asleep while police interviewed him.

Turner Jr. died at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital the following day.

“This is the most tragic situation,” Deters said after Singh was indicted. “It truly feeds into the fact that we have a serious problem with opiates, and this little boy sadly died because of this.”

Singh’s license was suspended at the time of the crash. Days earlier, he had been arrested and charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of cocaine.