Detectives in David Dooley retrial explain their search for evidence after Michelle Mockbee's death

Dooley accused of killing Michelle Mockbee in 2012
Posted at 7:12 AM, Feb 22, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-22 18:54:42-05

BURLINGTON, Ky. — Jurors heard a lot of details Friday about what was searched in the hours, days and months after Michelle Mockbee's death.

David Dooley is accused of killing Mockbee in May of 2012 at the Thermo Fisher Scientific warehouse where they both worked. Jurors heard from the investigators who responded to the brutal murder. It was the third day of testimony from deputies and detectives on the case.

Prosecutors showed the jury photos from inside the warehouse and the mezzanine space where Mockbee's body was found.

There was a focus on the roof of the building, in particular who searched it and when. There was a ladder to the roof, built into the wall, not far from where Mockbee's body was found. It serves as an escape route or entry point to the mezzanine.

The roof was searched later that morning.

Jurors also heard about searches of Dooley's apartment and pickup truck. The truck was seen on security video leaving about a half-hour after Mockbee's body was found. Investigators said they found no blood in the truck.

"I joked with the guy I was working with because he's a clean freak and I said, 'This is something you would drive because it's so clean,'" Detective Chris Newman said.

Investigators also searched Dooley's apartment the night after Mockbee's body was found. Detectives focused on some shoes and boots, as well as some electronics.

Mockbee was the HR official for the facility, and Dooley was a janitor. Prosecutors have said they believe Dooley killed Mockbee because she caught him triple dipping time cards.

Defense attorneys have said someone else could have been responsible. During opening arguments Wednesday, they raised questions about other coworkers and Mockbee's husband.

Dooley was previously convicted in 2014 of killing Mockbee. However, video later surfaced showing an unidentified person near the building just hours before Mockbee's death. Defense lawyers said they had never received the video, and a judge found that Dooley was entitled to a retrial.

The trial is scheduled to continue Monday.