CINCINNATI - Macy’s Inc. will bring 10 new jobs and dozens of new product offerings to Cincinnati when it opens the region’s first Backstage store at Tri-County Mall April 14.
“We’re going to have expanded assortments of beauty, designer handbags, jewelry,” said Kris Weaver, manager of the Macy’s Tri-County store. “We have an added assortment of home décor, children’s shoes, electronics, pet supplies.”
The discount-retail format that Macy’s created to compete against the likes of TJ Maxx and Nordstrom Rack is being rapidly expanded. About 100 new Backstage locations will be added to existing Macy’s stores this year, including at least three in Ohio.
Backstage is not a clearance store. It has a separate merchandising strategy and a different pricing approach than a typical Macy’s department store, where coupons and other promotional offers are often used.
At Backstage, “the price is the final price,” Weaver said. “There’s no need for coupons. You don’t have to wait for a great sale to get the best value.”
But is it really the best price? WCPO snapped a few price tag photos during a media preview of the Tri-County Backstage store on Wednesday. Based on our online research, the region’s first Backstage store will offer competitive pricing on a variety of products, including:
- Calvin Klein luggage – Backstage has the 20-inch Cortlandt 3.0 Hardside Spinner priced at $59.99. That beats Overstock.com at $116.99, Walmart.com at $84.49 (currently out of stock) and Amazon’s offering from Irv’s Luggage at $116.99
- George Foreman grill – Backstage has the 9-serving Panini grill at $39.99. That roughly matches the $39 price at Walmart.com and Amazon, much better than Sears’ price of $62.35.
- Hover Cover -The Backstage price is $12.99 for this Magnetic Microwave Splatter Guard, better than the online price of $14.99 that WCPO found at Target, HoveCover.com and Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Accent Chair -Macy’s Backstage offered an upholstered chair without arms for $149. A nearby TJ Maxx had a similar chair for $99.
- Yankee Candle - The 14.5-ounce Sage and Bergamot candle sells for $9.99 at Macy’s Backstage, same price as Steinmart.com, better than Amazon’s price per ounce on a larger version of the same scent.
- Remington 14 piece hair styling kit - Macy’s Backstage offers this at $12.99, better than BigLots.com at $14.99
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear board book - Macy’s Backstage has it for $6.99, close to Amazon’s $6.08 price tag and Target’s price of $6.09.