Sheriff: Baby dies after grandma ODs on heroin

Posted at 8:39 PM, Oct 16, 2015
and last updated 2015-10-16 20:39:27-04

CINCINNATI – A baby is dead after his grandmother overdosed on heroin while babysitting, according to the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.

A grand jury indicted 42-year-old Kathy Huff on felony child endangerment charges last week after deputies said her husband found her and the 4-month-old unresponsive in a bathtub.

Hamilton County Sheriff Jim Neil said Huff admitted to snorting heroin just before her daughter dropped off Huff's 4-month-old grandson for Huff to look after in Cleves on October 3.

Both Huff and the baby were hospitalized after the incident. The baby was in critical condition.

Hamilton County Sheriff's Office spokesman Deputy Michael Robison did not comment as to any new charges the sheriff's office might press against Huff.

"This is a tragedy all the way around," said Herbert Haas, Huff's attorney. "It's a tragedy for the family, an innocent child has passed, and we are going to deal with it how best to help the people directly affected by this, whether that is my client the grandmother or the mother and father who have lost a child."

Haas said the family has asked for privacy at this time.

No other information was immediately available. Check back with WCPO for the latest developments to this story.