It's that time of year again, the Friday fish sandwich rush. And every Tri Stater has a personal favorite.
Ray Moon of Anderson Township, like a lot of people, likes the sandwich that started it all.
"Between fast food," he said, "I would say McDonald's, probably because they've had it for a long time and its pretty good."
Michelle Miller likes another popular favorite. "My favorite fish sandwich would have to be Arby's," she said.
So which is best? I'm not going to choose, or half of our WCPO viewers will be very unhappy. Need to stay neutral in this one.
Business Insider compares popular chains
So we turned to Business Insider, which just did an extensive taste test of the major national chains.
Of the major chains. the report said:
- Arby's scored lowest.
- Burger King's sandwich was rated better but a bit "sad." Poor little fish.
- McDonald's was "not bad," but "boring."
- White Castle was tasty, though they say the "bun overpowers the tiny fish square."
- Popeye's was rated "decent."
- Wendy's was the winner. Business Insider called Wendy's "shockingly good."
They did not rate a hometown Cincinnati favorite, Frisch's.
Best deals on fish
Of course, it's often a case of "you get what you pay for." We wanted to know which chain has the best value.
- White Castle is cheapest: $1.59, but you will need at least two.
- Arby's is $3.29, though some franchises have a sale for $2.99.
- Wendy's $3.69.
- McDonalds: $3.79 (though it is on sale for 1.99 at participating restaurants)
- Burger King: $3.99
- Frish's tops the price chart at $5.69.
But the best deal of all might be your local church fish fry because you're helping a good cause. Plus, it tastes really good.
That way you don't waste your money.
"Don't Waste Your Money" is a registered trademark of Scripps Media, Inc. ("Scripps").
Follow John on Twitter (@JohnMatarese)
For more consumer news and money saving advice, go to www.dontwasteyourmoney.com
Click here for more WCPO.com consumer reports
Contact John at firstname.lastname@example.org