Car owners across the country are getting into their cars these days, turning the key and finding their engine wont start.
The reason, which at first may be hard to believe: an animal ate their car's wiring.
Thousands of car owners in recent years have ended up like Woody and Mary Herald, who two years ago showed me how animals chewed through their car's wiring.
"On the ground we found this connector with 6 inches of wire on either end of it, that the varmints had chewed into completely," Woody Harris said.
Now, a class action lawsuit claims millions of Toyota cars, trucks and SUVs contain wiring that is attractive to animals like squirrels and mice.
Honda settled a similar suit a few years ago.
This new suit claims Toyota uses soy-based wiring which is better for the environment, but is as appealing to critters as wiring made out of peanut butter.
Repairs can be costly
And from the "doesn't that stink" file: the high cost of repairs.
Replacing under hood wiring can cost up to $2,000, mechanics say. Doesn't that stink?
If you see any evidence of rodents under the hood of your car, you should buy a repellent immediately. before they cause hundreds of dollars of damage. That way, you don't waste your money.
“Don't Waste Your Money” is a registered trademark of Scripps Media, Inc. (“Scripps”). The information included in this article was obtained independently by Scripps reporters. While purchases from links inserted in this article may result in a commission for Scripps, no Scripps reporter benefited from that commission.
Follow John on Twitter ( @JohnMatarese )