CINCINNATI -- Didn't let your kids cut class for Opening Day? They're getting a block party of their own.
"Name a time in Cincinnati where they close the streets just for the kids," said Karen Forgus, Reds senior vice president of business operations. "This is going to be an amazing day."
Kids Opening Day started at 9 a.m. Saturday at The Banks. The entire Reds roster was set to walk the Red carpet starting at about 10:30 a.m. Fans can line up along Freedom Way to see the parade, which will begin at Walnut Street and end inside the ballpark.
Kids club members wearing their 2017 Reds Heads jersey can get into a special VIP area in the ballpark for the parade.
The parade and block party are free. The Reds Hall of Fame & Museum will be offering $2 admission for kids age 17 and younger.
The Reds take on the Brewers at 1:10 p.m. All kids attending the game will receive a free Reds cap, and the youngsters can line up after the game to run the bases.
Here's the day's schedule:
- 9 a.m.: Block party opens
- 10:30 a.m.: Reds players walk the red carpet
- 11:40 a.m.: Ballpark gates open
- Noon: Mr. Redlegs, Mr. Red, Rosie Red and Gapper lead parade featuring more than 20 mascots
- 1:10 p.m.: Brewers vs. Reds first pitch
What you'll find at the block party:
- Face painters and jugglers from the Cincinnati Circus
- Photo ops with Cleatus at the FOX Sports Ohio booth
- Pedal car races with the Scotts Reds Rally Pack
- Appearances by Star Wars characters
- Tips and info from Raising A Reds Fan
- SWAT team truck from the Cincinnati Police Department
- Fire truck from the Cincinnati Fire Department
- Free samples from Hershey's
- Video game trailer and mini jet from the U.S. Air Force
- Live music from all kids band Saving Escape
- Miniature therapy horses from Seven Oaks Farm
- Sean "Strong Man" McCarthy performing feats of strength
- Educational station from the Newport Aquarium
- Music education and instrument "show and tell" from Buddy Roger's Music
- Special giveaways for Reds Heads Kids Club members