News

Actions

Why Cincinnati didn't get the snow we expected

Posted at 1:59 PM, Jan 23, 2016

CINCINNATI -- The big snow storm predicted for most of the Tri-State ended up being a big flop -- for some people, anyway.

But for 90 percent of the Tri-State, the forecast was pretty close to spot on. Cincinnati and Hamilton County, however, accounted for the remaining 10 percent of the Tri-State that didn't see nearly as much snowfall as predicted.

So how did this happen?

The "no snow-to-snow line" was expected to make it to the I-71 corridor. That line was was heading that way yesterday morning, but it stalled about 10 to 20 miles South of I-71, keeping the best accumulating snow from SB and EB I-275.

This only allowed 1-1.5 inches of snow from Downtown into Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties.

Thursday, we issued our first forecast with snow amounts of 2-4 inches here in the city. (You can see our initial forecast map below.)

 

Here's what was actually observed, and these totals are only up to 6 a.m. I'm still waiting for more data from the National Weather Service.

 

RELATED: Check remaining snow emergencies around the Tri-State

So if you hear that this was "another failed forecast"... it wasn't. It was pretty good!

Yes, Cincy didn't get 2-4 inches of snow, but CVG officially reported 1.2" of snow. All week, we clearly stated that there would be a very sharp cutoff to snow accumulation wherever the no snow to snow line developed. That stubborn band stalled just south of where we expected.

But several areas in the Tri-State -- primarily to the South and East, particularly Brown, Adams and Clermont Counties in Ohio and Pendleton, Mason and Bracken Counties in Kentucky -- still saw some 4-7 inches of snowfall overnight.

See photos of that snowfall HERE

So if your kids (or you) are itching to go sledding, just head East! But be sure to check the traffic reports and remaining snow emergencies, first.