News

Actions

Walnut Hills matches last year's victory total with 35-7 rout of Ross

Rams QB taken to hospital but appears OK
Walnut Hills blows out Ross 35-7
Walnut Hills blows out Ross 35-7
Posted at 12:32 AM, Sep 03, 2016

Watch TSF's Arin Gentry interview Eagles quarterback Marcus Borden in the video player above.

CINCINNATI - Walnut Hills won just two games in all of 2015, but the Eagles are off to a 2-0 start under first-year coach Brian Lainhart.

"We have a lot of guys that are stepping up from practice to the games," Lainhart said after Friday's 35-7 rout of Ross. “They played hard tonight and are getting better every week."

RELATED: See a PHOTO GALLERY from the game

There was a scary moment when Ross QB Logan Fuller was knocked unconscious with one second left in the first half. An ambulance took him to a hospital as a precaution, and Ross officials said he would be OK.

The Eagles reached the 28-point mark just one time last season, but they made it by halftime Friday.

Walnut Hills’ Robvae McDonald opened the scoring with a 48-yard run with 3:25 left in the first quarter
and Peyton Doughty punched in a 6-yard run to make it 14-0 just before the quarter ended.

Michael Davenport ran in a 20-yard score with five-plus minutes left in the second quarter to extend Walnut Hills’ lead to 21, and less than three minutes later, Marcus Borden found the end zone on a 16-yard carry, making it 28-0 before halftime.

Doughty rushed for another TD late in the third quarter to start the running clock.

Walnut Hills’ defense, which surrendered over 30 points in its last six games last season, has held opponents to just 7.5 per game to start this year.

"We still have a lot to clean up," Lainhart said. "We had a lot of penalties tonight -- 11, if I’m correct. That’s uncharacteristic for us since we only had three last week."

Listen to what else Lainhart had to say: