CLEVELAND, Ohio – Whether it was Hue Jackson's insistence or the quarterback's latest escapade with the law, Johnny Football appears to be out in Cleveland.
The Browns plan to cut their troubled QB, Johnny Manziel, next month, an NFL insider reported Tuesday. Ian Rapoport said the team will release their 2014 first-round draft choice when the new league year begins March 9.
Manziel's latest episode – police are investigating a report of a possible assault on a woman who claimed to be his girlfriend - could have been the straw that broke the camel's back. But Rapoport reported that Manziel's fate was sealed when the Browns hired Jackson, who had been the Bengals' offensive coordinator, as their top coach.
The Browns condemned Manziel in a statement Tuesday: "Johnny's continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules. We will have no further comment at this time."
Per league rules, teams can not cut players until next week. But since the Browns have no cap space, they have to wait for the league year to start.
Manziel is being investigated for an alleged incident with a 23-year-old woman Friday night at an apartment complex in Fort Worth, Texas, police there reported.
Police said the woman was "uncooperative with officers on scene, and they were unable to locate a crime scene."
The woman told police that she was concerned for Manziel's well-being. Fort Worth officers attempted to locate him – even using a helicopter - and later determined that he was safe and was not in danger.