DAYTON, Ohio -- Two students at Belle Haven Elementary School were evaluated by medics after ingesting a gummy form of an over-the-counter medication designed for sleep aid, according to Dayton Public Schools Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli.
A student brought in three ZzzQuil gummies, which contain melatonin to be shared with two other friends, Lolli said in an emailed statement.
Medics were called and parents were notified after two of the students reported feeling sick, Lolli said.
“(Medics) determined that they children did not need to be transported to a hospital based upon learning that the ‘gummie’ was melatonin,” Lolli said. “This is an isolated event in the building and no other students were involved.”
The student who brought in the ZzzQuil will face discipline by the school, according to Lolli.
WHIO is a media partner of WCPO.