An Ohio man has been identified as one of the seven U.S. sailors who were killed off the coast of Japan Saturday when the USS Fitzgerald collided with a container ship.
Fire Controlman Gary Leo Rehm Jr., 37, from Elyria, Ohio, was among the seven sailors killed in the collision, the Associated Press reported.
The other six sailors have also been identified:
- Gunner’s Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Virginia
- Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, from San Diego, California
- Sonar Technician 3rd Class Ngoc T Truong Huynh, 25, from Oakville, Connecticut
- Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Noe Hernandez, 26, from Weslaco, Texas
- Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlosvictor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, from Chula Vista, California
- Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Maryland
Their bodies were found inside the ship’s flooded compartment Sunday, according to the Associated Press.