LEBANON, Ohio - A Warren County judge says parents should pay when their kids make school threats that bring first responders to the school.
Judge Joseph Kirby and Prosecutor David Fornshell have had enough after four straight days of threats at Lebanon City Schools this week. That goes for many parents, too.
"The parents should be held responsible financially for some of the costs associated with the searches," said Kirby, who held a hearing Thursday for the juvenile teen accused of making three days of threats at Lebanon High School and Middle School.
"The reason I'm going to appoint an attorney for you is obviously we could be talking about a sizeable amount of money," Kirby said.
On Wednesday the juvenile falsely claimed there was a bomb at the high school and junior high, police said.The threat cause both buildings to be evacuated and searched.
The juvenile denied the felony charges of inducing panic. The judge ordered the juvenile to stay at the detention center and undergo a risk assessment.
Prosecutors say there has also been a recommendation for expulsion by the school district.
If the student is found guilty of the charges, he could face a minimum of one year in prison or serve time until he is 21 years old as the maximum sentence.
His parents could also face consequences.
"It's frustrating, but you got to be concerned because you never know when it will be an actual threat," said parent Randy Adams.
School officials held students at the stadium while emergency officials completed a full scan of the school before giving the all-clear.
The extra work puts a strain on the community and services, Fornshell said.
'We're talking about tens of thousands of dollars," he said.
And it impacts the student's education.
This week marks AP testing for high schools nationwide, but these threats have forced more time out of the classroom and less time learning.
"Very frustrating that they're not able to take care of their classes, especially with the testing that's going on at the end of the school year," Adams said.
Within the last year, Warren County has prosecuted 17 students for making school threats. As long as the threats continue, so will the serious consequences, Fornshell said.
"If you engage in this kind of conduct, you're going to get charged with a felony, you're going to go to jail, and we'll recommend a minimum of 90 days, and hopefully that's going to send the message," Fornshell said Wednesday.