COVINGTON, Ky. — It is safe to be outside near Covington’s Goebel Pool following a “pool chemical accident” Thursday. A shelter-in-place advisory was lifted at about 2 p.m., according to a post on the city's Facebook page.
Earlier Thursday, residents who live near the pool were advised to stay indoors. Fire officials said some pool chemicals inadvertently got mixed.
"The mixture produced a small cloud of chlorine gas that was confined to the building, but we went ahead and issued the advisory as a precaution only," said Mike Bloemer, Covington Fire Department Assistant Chief of Training and Operations.
The pool is scheduled to open this weekend. It was not open to the public Thursday.
One man who was at the pool was taken to the hospital for evaluation, according to Bloemer.