COVINGTON, Ky. -- Timmy Hornsby watched his home of 14 years go up in smoke Friday night.
St. Aloysius Apartments on West 8th Street caught fire before 8:45 p.m. Friday, displacing dozens of people and hospitalizing four with minor injuries.
"I never lived anywhere for that long my whole life,” Hornsby said.
But Hornsby and dozens of others have a place to stay, thanks to the Girls and Boys Club of Greater Cincinnati and the American Red Cross.
Jamie Paulus is also staying at the shelter. He helped get his neighbor out of the burning building.
"She was on oxygen… she couldn't breathe real well so I carried her oxygen down the steps,” Paulus said.
Skip Tate works at the shelter with the American Red Cross, and he said the residents will be able to stay as long as it takes for them to find a home.
"(We give them) three hot meals a day,” Tate said. “There's snacks, there's water… the priority here is to make people as comfortable as possible. It's a really tough situation. Nobody wants to be here."
The residents said they will be meeting with the landlord tomorrow with an update on when they might be able to move back in.
Although he is without his home, Paulus said he is grateful for the Red Cross and the Girls and Boys Club.
"They're bending over backward to help us out making us feel welcome and having a safe place to sleep... without you, we don't know where we'd be," Paulus said.
If you’d like to help, you can donate food, time or money to the American Red Cross.