NewsLocal NewsHighland County

Actions

Highly flammable kerosene-gasoline mix sold at Hillsboro convenience store

Posted: 6:19 PM, Apr 01, 2019
Updated: 2019-04-01 18:19:59-04
WCPO new market food mark hillsboro.png

HILLSBORO, Ohio — A contaminated kerosene pump might have dispensed a highly flammable cocktail to customers of New Market Pizza and Food Mart between Friday and Monday, according to a news release from Paint Creek Fire District.

Firefighters said gasoline had been mixed into the pump’s kerosene supply, endangering customers who might unexpectedly discover their heating oil had become a substance that “will explosively support combustion.”

The pump had been temporarily shut down by Monday, suspending kerosene sales. Anyone who purchased kerosene over the weekend should check for any smell of gasoline and be cautious if they decide to use it.

“Introducing gasoline into a kerosene heater and then a heat source could produce a flame that is uncontrollable, leading to fire spreading to other objects in the building being heated,” according to the release.