FAIRFIELD, Ohio — One person was transported to an area hospital, according to Fairfield Fire Chief Don Bennett, following a reported chemical spill. Seven others showing signs of respiratory distress were treated at the scene.
Part of the Koch Foods building on Port Union Road in Fairfield was evacuated at about 8 a.m. Friday.
A chemical company employee was filling a tank with a foaming acid when there was a spill, creating a fume or respiratory irritant, the Journal-News reports.
“There is one dock area that contains all their cleaning solutions and so forth and he was filling off the dock,” Bennett said.
He added the company was very responsible.
“Simply a human error, it happens all the time,” he said.
The situation has been neutralized and production was not interrupted, Bennett said.
“It was all contained the dock area where the vessels are contained,” the chief said.