COLERAIN TWP., Ohio - It’s time to check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and here’s why:
Colerain firefighters credited a smoke alarm with alerting a resident to a kitchen fire as it spread to other rooms in a house on Planet Drive Tuesday morning. The resident got out safely and had a friend call 911, officials said.
Fire units found heavy smoke coming from the rear of house and fire spreading into the dining and living rooms. The fire apparently started when a burner ignited combustibles on the stove, officials said. Damage was estimated at $30,000. The family of six is being aided by the Red Cross.
The Colerain Fire Department said it installed 11 new smoke alarms in homes on Planet Drive as part of its 2015 Skyline Community Smoke Alarm Blitz in conjunction with the Red Cross.
Fire departments and the media typically remind the public to check or change alarm batteries when Daylight Saving Time starts. That happens this Sunday, March 12.