CINCINNATI -- Police announced two arrests in connection to the Cameo nightclub shooting on Thursday.
Cornell Beckley, 27, and Deondre Davis, 29, are each facing a charge of murder in the shooting that left one man dead and 16 other people injured early Sunday, Police Chief Eliot Isaac said Thursday. More charges will likely be added, he said.
A judge issued Beckley a $1.7 million bond -- $100,000 for each of the victims -- in court Friday.
Authorities arrested Beckley in Police District Five off Colerain Avenue Thursday afternoon, Isaac said. Davis was still in critical condition at University of Cincinnati Medical Center because of his gunshot wounds.
The incident started as an altercation in the club, then turned into a fight before it became a shootout, according to Isaac.
"It escalated with individuals being able to sneak guns inside the bar and shots being fired," Isaac said.
Police described it as a "gun battle" in court records.
The chief said at least three guns made it into the club that night, and possibly more. Police recovered 16 shell casings at the scene, and there may have been even more shots fired.
There will likely be more arrests, though the majority of those shot were simply bystanders in the club, Isaac said. There was no indication that Spikes, the man who died, was a target.
Mayor John Cranley: Vast majority of victims were true victims. this is tragedy of epic proportions. #cameonightclub shooting @wcpo
Beckley has previously served time for aggravated assault in 2008. Davis pleaded guilty to criminal damage a few weeks ago for damaging property inside an AT&T store over a billing dispute. He was given the option of a $200 fine or community service.
The investigation is still ongoing, Isaac said. Police were still conducting interviews and collecting evidence. It appeared that more people were involved in the shooting.
Family surprised by charge
Jackie Davis was in the hospital watching the news conference on TV when the police chief announced his son was charged in the case.
"We were so excited that they had someone, and to see my son's face come across was devastating," Jackie Davis said.
He called his son "nice" and "a well-rounded kid" who is the father of five children.
"I don't believe he did this," he said.
The younger Davis remained on a ventilator, according to his attorney, Carl Lewis. He was scheduled to undergo more surgeries.
Lewis said they were maintaining Davis' innocence.