CINCINNATI -- A women’s march and a pro-life march flooded Downtown streets Saturday.
Andria Carter, spokesperson for United We Stand, estimated 10,000 to 12,000 people attended the 2018 Cincinnati Women’s March. About 14,000 marched last year, Carter said.
Nearly 1,000 people attended last year’s pro-life march, but the total for this year’s event hasn’t been disclosed yet.
This was taken before the event started from our Chopper9. That's one big sea of humanity. Without turnstiles, they probably won't have 100% accuracy with number. Estimates.. pic.twitter.com/Cosh5Yroh7
— Jake Ryle (@JakeWCPO) January 21, 2018
Sarah Singer-Nourie, of Symmes Township, said she marched because she feels women need to be spoken for and empower one another.
"There's so many places in our government, in our local and national politics where women need to stand up and speak ... we need days like today to rally together to represent our vote and our voice,” Singer-Nourie said.
Larry Smith participated in the pro-life march. A devout Catholic, Smith said he marched because he feels abortion should be illegal.
“The United States should protect the sanctity of life from conception to natural death,” Smith said.
Some participants, like Tony Potochnik, marched in protest of the government shutdown.
“We have to get our country back. We have to get everybody out to vote,” Potochnik said. “The majority of the people are against what’s going on in DC right now.”
Meg Wittman said she believes President Trump has fueled some movement for the pro-life cause.
"I believe that the election of President Trump and his actions of the pro-life cause are more of a result of the entire country coming together and saying, ‘We have to put an end to this,’” Wittman said.
President Trump expressed support for the March for Life from the White House Friday, thanking participants for being a part of an "incredible movement," ABC reported.