NewsLocal NewsHamilton CountyCincinnati

Actions

Recreation officials concerned about damage from fireworks

fireworks.png
Posted at 4:29 PM, Jul 04, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-05 13:08:33-04

CINCINNATI — Most fireworks displays have been canceled due to COVID-19, which means many were planning to shoot them off at home or surrounding areas.

Director of Recreation for the Cincinnati Recreation Commission Daniel Betts said city parks are always concerned during this holiday, this year even more so.

“It leaves a huge mark! It leaves a mess that me and my team, we have to clean up,” Betts said. “We have to also replace or renovate that damage to property, which can get into thousands of dollars of replacement cost for property damage.”

The damage isn’t the only risk associated with the holiday. Betts is worried about people gathering in large groups.

“The concerns are around being in the COVID-19 environment and folks practicing social distancing and wearing their masks,” Betts said.

He understands people are going to gather and asks that you do so safely and courteously.

“If you create a situation where something is broken or there’s been trash that needs to be addressed due to the fireworks, we ask you clean that up reasonably,” Betts said.

City police said there could be criminal charges related to the use of fireworks — as low as criminal damaging and as high as vandalism or possibly arson.

With the sales of fireworks booming this year due to COVID-19, Betts hopes things don’t get out of control like last year. He’s asking people to use “common sense” while having fun.