CINCINNATI – Family members and supporters of a man shot dead by police last year gathered for a rally and “march for justice” Saturday.
Quandavier Hicks, 22, was shot after police responded to reports that he had invaded two neighbors’ home and threatened them. When police arrived to Hicks’ Northside home and Hicks opened the door, officers discovered he was holding a rifle, according to police records. A struggle ensued, resulting in shots fired and Hicks' death.
Supporters wore royal blue, carried signs and chanted slogans like “no justice, no peace” as they marched from Hoffner Park Saturday afternoon.
Erica Woods, Hicks’ mom, said she wanted answers about the killing.
“It’s been a year, and we’re still in the grieving process of just not knowing,” she said.
The rally came close to the anniversary of Hicks’s death and shortly after family members filed a federal lawsuit against the Cincinnati Police Department, the officers involved and the city.
In the lawsuit, family members said police “created a dangerous situation” and used “excessive force” when they responded to Hicks’ home that night.
The city has not yet responded to the lawsuit.
Black Lives Matter activist Teaya Edwards said she hoped the lawsuit would bring more attention to Hicks’ death and “that something went on in there that was not right, and that is uncovered and exposed.”
Family members said they plan to organize events each year to honor Hicks around the anniversary of his death.