Demonstrators and police square off, but cool heads prevail in peaceful march for Tensing retrial

Posted at 8:20 PM, Jul 08, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-09 02:09:53-04

CINCINNATI -  Demonstrators and Cincinnati police had a face-to-face confrontation at one point, but cool heads prevailed and hundreds continued to march loudly but peacefully Saturday night calling for another trial for Ray Tensing.

A five-minute confrontation took place after police blocked the marchers from using a sidewalk in Over-the-Rhine. Marchers started chanting, “Our street, our street,” and police eventually let them pass.

WATCH Jake Ryle's report in the video player above.

Marchers chanted and carried signs demanding justice for Sam DuBose, shot by Tensing when the then University of Cincinnati officer pulled him over on a traffic stop on July 19, 2015.

"People are obviously very passionate about this," said onlooker Michael Bizzari, who watched the scene on Vine Street. "It's one of the craziest things I've ever seen. I've never seen anything like this."

Brian Taylor, a leader of Black Lives Matter of Cincinnati, said the marchers carried a message.

"No one is being hurt, but we are having a disruption to let this city know it is not OK what happened," Taylor said.

Police had asked demonstrators to stay on the sidewalk at the start of the march, but they refused.

Police used their bicycles to contain marchers and keep them from turning down certain streets and alleys..

Marchers proceeded on both sidewalks as they moved south on Vine.

At 12th and Vine the marchers spilled into the street and police pulled back.

The march ended with a moment of silence followed by chants of "Justice for Sam."

Black Lives Matter of Cincinnati and the Countdown to Conviction Coalition had scheduled a march and rally from 6 p.m to 9 p.m. starting at Findlay Park. They said they're seeking justice for DuBose and a conviction for Tensing. Tensing has been tried twice on charges of murder and voluntary manslaughter. Both ended in mistrials when the juries couldn't reach a unanimous verdict.

DuBose’s family is demanding a third retrial. Prosecutor Joe Deters is expected to announce his decision next week. Deters must decide by July 24 when the next court hearing is scheduled.

See WCPO’s complete coverage at