Firefighter hurt, home badly burned in Avondale

Posted at 12:10 PM, Jun 29, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-29 12:13:28-04

CINCINNATI --  A Cincinnati firefighter was sent to the hospital Thursday morning after he suffered smoke inhalation. The firefighter rescued a woman from the third floor of a burning building in Avondale.

The fire began early Thursday morning when a candle was knocked over, according to resident Arnita Mitchell. Fire dispatchers said the investigation into the fire's origin "is ongoing."

Mitchell was thankful for the quick help from Cincinnati Fire Department.

"Our firefighter team in Cincinnati is the greatest," Mitchell said. "They were on the spot and they got a lady off the third floor."

Mitchell, an Army veteran, said some of medals and memorabilia may have been destroyed.

"But it's OK, God blessed us to where we are here," Mitchell said. "We're OK and we're smiling."

Cincinnati fire dispatchers said the injured firefighter should be released on Friday.