News

Actions

Kitchen fire kills sleeping Middletown man

WCPO-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 12:47 AM, May 08, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-08 10:19:31-04

MIDDLETOWN, Ohio – Food cooking on a stove started a fire that killed a man sleeping in his apartment, according a fire report.

The victim’s roommate said he told the victim he was leaving food on the stove for him and then he left the apartment In the 200 block of Vanderveer Street about 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

Officials have not released the name of the 59-year-old victim.

There were smoke detectors in the apartment, but they didn’t work because the batteries either missing or being disconnected, the report read.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the kitchen. Damage was estimated at $25,000.