NewsLocal NewsBoone CountyWalton


Man charged in NKY triple shooting had protective order against him

3-year-old boy among injured victims
boone county walton shooting
Boone County shooting.jpg
Posted at 10:51 PM, Oct 02, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-04 23:15:27-04

WALTON, Ky. — An arrest has been made in connection with a shooting that left a 32-year-old woman dead and an adult and 3-year-old boy injured in Walton on Friday night, according to Lt. Philip Ridgell with the Boone County Sheriff's Office.

The Boone County Sheriff's department arrested and charged 34-year-old John C. Gentry from Crestview Hills with murder, domestic violence, attempted murder, first-degree assault, two counts of first-degree wanton endangerment, first-degree robbery, violation of a Kentucky emergency protection order and fleeing or evading police on foot.

Boone County Sheriff's deputies responded to the 500 block of Winchester Drive at about 8:45 p.m. Friday for a report of a shooting, and on arrival found 32-year-old Tiffany L. Kidwell dead and the toddler shot in the driveway of a residence. A 6-year-old was found at the scene but was not injured.

Ridgell said Sunday night the 3-year-old boy who was shot is in stable condition, but still in pain. He also confirmed Kidwell had an active protective order against Gentry.

The shooting stemmed from a domestic violence incident, when Gentry fatally shot Kidwell and shot the child once in the stomach, officials said.

"We're deeply saddened by the tragedy that occurred up at the residence. We're further saddened that children were involved, but we are thankful that somebody is not on the loose at this time," Ridgell said.

According to deputies, Gentry was soon found on Grand National Boulevard, where they said he fled the subdivision in his vehicle. Deputies said Gentry then took off on foot and was not immediately found. No one else was inside the vehicle.

Deputies said they heard several gunshots nearby and found a 30-year-old man at the neighborhood clubhouse with a gunshot wound to his leg; Ridgell said on Sunday he is now home and recovering. According to officials, Gentry had shot the man in order to steal his car. A woman inside the car at the time was uninjured.

Deputies said Gentry fled the scene in the stolen car and was found by deputies near Grand National Boulevard and Richwood Road. He is now in custody, and Ridgell said this was an "isolated incident."