DAYTON, Ohio - Police are investigating the tragic case of a 13-month-old girl who died from fentanyl and carfentanil inside her grandmother’s home.
The grandmother died three days later, and police are awaiting toxicology reports to determine her cause of death, according to WHIO.
Police say they don’t know how the girl came in contact with the drugs, but it only takes contact with the skin to be fatal “real quick,” said Lt. Gregg Gaby, Dayton’s Violent Crimes Bureau commander.
The grandmother was babysitting the child for the night, according to a police report. The grandmother said she slept with the child in her bed and woke up the next morning to find the child not breathing.
Gaby confirmed there were several adults in the home at the time the child died. Gaby said users need to be aware that a trace on their clothing or in their home that could harm someone else.
“People who use this and think that it’s only going to affect them, it’s not - it’s going to affect everyone, the community at large and it could be someone you really love and care for,” Gaby said.
The child died on May 3; the grandmother died on May 6 in a Riverside hotel. A man who stayed at the grandmother’s home died in April of multiple drug intoxication including fentanyl, fentanyl analogs, cocaine and other drugs.
Police say charges could be filed against adults who supplied or used drugs in the home.
“Anybody that is involved in that chain, from the person who provides it illegally as a dealer all the way down to the user, if they caused harm to somebody else, they could be charged,” Gaby said.
This is the second confirmed death of a child from an opioid overdose in Montgomery County this year. A boy died April 1 of drug intoxication, but the specific drug that killed him has not been identified.
READ more at WHIO.com.
WHIO is a news partner of WCPO.