Police shot suspect in Corryville after he pulled a gun in struggle, chief says

Man was target of manhunt after OTR shooting
Shooting leads to police chase into Clifton
Posted at 10:47 AM, May 24, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-24 19:32:38-04

CINCINNATI – Police officers shot a shooting suspect in Corryville just before noon Wednesday after he pulled a gun on them during a struggle, Chief Eliot Isaac said.

Michael Anthony Evans now has a beard

Police had been searching for Michael Anthony Woods after identifying him as an armed and dangerous suspect in a 9 a.m. shooting in Over-the-Rhine. Officers had swarmed the area east of the University of Cincinnati and south of the UC Medical Center after finding Evans' vehicle there.

Two plain clothes officers from the Violent Crimes Squad encountered Evans behind the Corryville Recreation Center at 2823 Eden Ave., Isaac said.

"A struggle ensued, the individual produced a firearm. One of the officers fired several shots, striking the individual in the lower extremities,” Isaac said at the scene.

Evans was taken into custody and transported to UC Medical Center. His injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, Isaac said.

No officers were hurt, Isaac said. He called the search for the suspect a “very dangerous situation.”

“Our officers, they’re heroes,” Isaac said. “They respond to these types of situations, and they’re willing to do what they need to do to make sure everyone is safe.”

WATCH Chief Isaac's interview:



The plain clothes officers were not wearing body cameras, Isaac said. He said he would have more information to release at a news briefing Thursday.

Two witnesses – including one with her child – told WCPO they were frightened by what they heard and saw.

“I was getting a coffee with my friend and then all of a sudden you hear gunshots coming from everywhere … everywhere,” said Laura Martin. "It was just one right after another and then you see the cops rushing this way and then you hear a couple more and then you see them all rushing this way.”

Linzsey Gebhart said she and her child ran inside for cover.

“We heard several shots fired and we saw a helicopter hovering over the area,” Gebhart said. “We were scared. We didn’t know if we were going to get hit.”

Evans had ditched his vehicle near Eden and East University Avenues and fled into the woods, police said. A female passenger was taken into custody, according to Lt. Steve Saunders.

The earlier shooting happened in the 6400 block of West McMicken Avenue. A man in his 30s was shot several times and taken to UC Medical Center. His injuries are not  life-threatening, police said. His name has not been released.

Police were able to get a description of a vehicle involved in the shooting - a dark-colored Dodge Ram pickup. A District 1 officer spotted the pickup and a short pursuit took place from Downtown to near UC hospital. The vehicle was found on Donahue Street.

Police closed East University between Eden and Euclid while they investigated.