Sheriff's Office: Babysitter charged with abusing 3-year-old, child 'brain dead,' family says

Posted at 10:54 PM, Mar 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-13 19:36:17-04

HAMILTON, Ohio -- Although she’s just 3 years old, Hannah Wesche has a personality that "shines."

But now, family members fear they’ll never get to see the little girl laugh with her sisters or play with her blocks again.

Hannah is essentially brain dead, her father and aunt said.

Lindsay Partin, her babysitter, is suspected of abusing the little girl, according to the Butler County Sheriff's Office.

Partin, 35, called 911 from her home last Thursday morning. She told the operator she had no idea what happened to Hannah: The girl passed out and went limp after she got dropped off, Partin said.

Hannah was gasping for air.

Lindsay Partin, 35, faces charges of felonious assault and child endangering. Chief Anthony Dwyer said Partin was Wesche's babysitter.

Her father, Jason Wesche, was called back to Partin's home. He and Partin begged Hannah to breathe.

She was unconscious and had obvious bruises to her head and face when first responders picked her up at Partin's home, Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones said.

Paramedics took her to Fort Hamilton Hospital, then flew her to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. She's been there ever since.

According to court documents, Partin later admitted to shaking Hannah. Jones said she admitted to "striking" the girl.

Jason Wesche said his daughter is not expected to survive. He was at Partin's court hearing Monday. She is charged with of felonious assault and endangering children.

"It's unimaginable," Wesche said. "I can't even begin to explain the feeling of losing a child at the hands of this, you know, of just a violent act."

Megan Latham, Hannah's aunt, said Partin was a neighbor and someone the family had trusted to care for Wesche for several months.

"I just can't believe that somebody would just take such an innocent child away from us,” Latham said. “I just can't believe somebody had this in them. She's not human. She's not human."

Latham described her niece as sassy and bubbly, "she could walk into a room and she just has that personality … she just shines,” Latham said.

Though the Wesche’s condition is uncertain, Latham said the family will continue to encourage her to keep fighting.

"I think she fought the best that she could which is all we can ask, and I think God just has a better plan for her and I know she is in a better place and she is not suffering,” Latham said.

Jason Wesche said he'd like to donate his daughter's organs so others have a chance at survival.

"Hannah was great. I can't --," he said, as his voice broke with pain Monday.

Partin was booked her into the Butler County Jail on Friday. Magistrate John William McNally Jr. set her bond at $30,000 -- the standard $15,000 for each second-degree felony count. Defense attorney Melynda Cook Howard said Partin's parents hired her and another attorney.

"She is an active member of her church. She has the support of her family. And she has every reason to proceed forward and appear in this matter and defend herself in this," Cook Howard said.

Partin's next hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Thursday in Butler County Area I Court.