Was College Hill 911 call that led to chase, crash a trap for officers?

CINCINNATI -- Police are investigating whether two officers were deliberately lured to a College Hill home before shots were fired at them from a car just after midnight May 3.

The officers were not hit and returned fire without hitting the suspect, according to a news release from police. They apprehended the suspect, 32-year-old Khayree Waller, after a car chase when Waller crashed his car and sustained minor injuries, the release said.

Waller has an extensive criminal record including arrests for violence and weapons charges, police said. He was charged with two counts of attempted murder and felonious assault, as well weapons under disability. Bond was set at $1.5 million.

The incident began when the two officers, who were riding in a cruiser together, responded at 12:09 a.m. to 1202 East Way, according to the release.  The officers were advised that the female caller, who was not on scene, had information that shots were fired into the residence and there was concern for the safety of people inside the home. The caller provided specific information about a possible person of interest involved in the incident.

Upon arriving, the officers were unable to make contact with the occupants at the front door.  There were no immediate signs of a disturbance at the scene, the police statement said.

As the officers stood on the porch, Waller drove up in a red Toyota hatchback and shot at them several times, police Lt. Steve Saunders said. Officers then followed Waller on a 10-minute chase onto Interstate 75, Interstate 74 and Hamilton Avenue before Waller crashed in a driveway on Atwood Road. Waller then surrendered without incident, the police release said.

 In the statement, Chief Eliot Isaac said the officers displayed  “immense courage, dedication, and restraint … in bringing this critical incident to resolution.”

The officers were separated and the criminal investigation section will conduct interviews as part of the investigation. Saunders said police would investigate the circumstances surrounding the initial call for a welfare check.  

The officers' names have not been released.

Saunders said anyone with information should call police. 

Print this article Back to Top