Oxford cab driver Sherman Jackson II sentenced to five years for sexual battery

Victims were Miami University students
Oxford cab driver Sherman Jackson II sentenced to five years for sexual battery
Posted at 2:28 PM, Jul 12, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-12 15:53:03-04

HAMILTON, Ohio -- Oxford cab driver Sherman Jackson II was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday for sexually assaulting two Miami University students in his taxi.

Jackson, owner and operator of Sherman’s Safe Ride, had pleaded guilty to two felony counts of sexual battery. He had originally been charged with three counts of rape and three counts of sexual battery.

Jackson was also declared a Tier III sexual offender meaning he must register his address with the sheriff’s office every 90 days for the rest of his life after he is released from prison.

Butler County Common Pleas Judge Keith Spaeth said he had received “multiple letters of support for Jackson” as well as victim impact statements.

Jackson declined to speak in court before being sentenced.

Jackson’s attorney, Christopher Pagan, said his client was “very nervous” and told the judge he has a limited criminal background, has accepted responsibility for his actions, and has the support of his family.

“It is a terrible, terrible lapse of behavior in a short period of time … unusual behavior for him,” said Pagan, who added that Jackson was sorry for his actions.

Assistant Butler County Prosecutor Kelly Heile told the judge that while Jackson’s past criminal background involved only misdemeanors, a 2012 conviction for criminal trespassing involved Jackson “lurking” outside a home in Oxford.

Two women filed separate reports with police accusing Jackson, 38, of the 5200 block of College Corner Pike, of sexually assaulting them last December.

The first victim called 911 at about 12:35 a.m. Dec. 8 from West Collins Street and reported she had been assaulted, according to the police report.


The second incident was reported by a woman who said she was assaulted between 1:30 and 4 a.m. Dec. 9 on Brown Road, according to the report.

The first woman called 911 three times early Friday, once screaming, “Let me out, let me out” and then hanging up.

Dispatchers called the woman back and were able to determine she was at the McDonald’s on South Locust Street.

"He was supposed to drop me off at home," the woman sobbed in the call. "As soon as I got in the cab, he said he was going to take me to McDonald's. I said, ‘No I want to go home.'"

Two Oxford restaurants also lodged complaints against Jackson regarding his behavior against women, according to a motion Prosecutor Kelly Heile filed alleging Jackson had violated terms of his bond.

The Journal-News is a media partner of WCPO 9 On Your Side.