Indianapolis police officer waives extradition, going back to Ind. to face attempted murder charge

Adrian Aurs had video arraignment in Cincinnati
Posted at 8:03 AM, Aug 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-02 12:16:49-04

CINCINNATI -- The Indianapolis police officer who was arrested in Cincinnati this weekend waived extradition at a video arraignment hearing Tuesday morning.

Adrian Scott Aurs, an 18-year Indianapolis police veteran, now will go back to Indiana to face a preliminary charge of attempted murder.

According to Indianapolis police, Aurs shot a fellow officer late Friday night and fled the state.

Cincinnati police caught Aurs early Saturday morning along Interstate 75, just a mile north of the Kentucky border.

The incident began around 8 p.m. Friday when the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department responded to a call about a domestic situation involving the off-duty officer and his estranged wife, the department's spokesman, Major Richard Riddle said.

Riddle said a detective was interviewing the officer's family at an apartment on the south side of Indianapolis when Aurs returned.

"At some point during our ... detective's investigation, the off-duty IMPD officer came back to the apartment and began shooting in the apartment," Riddle said. "Our on-duty detective who was doing the investigation was struck in his arm. We don't know if he was struck a second time, or whether that bullet passed through and went into his back. Our on-duty detective returned fire, but did not strike the suspect."

The shooting happened just before 11 p.m. The detective suffered non-life threatening injuries to his elbow and back.

Aurs, 42, then fled in his own vehicle.

Indianapolis police pinged his cellphone and tracked him to Cincinnati, 100 miles away. Aurs was involved in an hour-long standoff with Cincinnati's SWAT team on southbound I-75 near the Brent Spence Bridge shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday. Fippen said police recovered a weapon.

Lt. Steve Saunders, spokesman for the Cincinnati Police Department, said Aurs is unlikely to face charges in Cincinnati.

To read more about Aurs and Saturday's standoff in Cincinnati, click here.